The Carter House
The Carter House, built in 1830
by Fountain Branch Carter, was caught in the swirling center of
one of the bloodiest battles of the War Between the States. The
Registered National Historic Landmark was used as a Federal Command
Post as the Carter family hid in the cellar during the hours of
battle. . . Franklin . . . a bloody combat . . . a turning point
in a decisive campaign . . . the beginning of the rapid downfall
of the Confederacy.
Heavy casualties totaled 2,326 Federal troops
and 6,252 Confederates, including 12 Confederate Generals and Captain
Tod Carter, young son of the Carter family. Carter was taken from
the battlefield to the home where he later died.
The Carter House Farm Office is recognized as
being the most battle-scarred building left standing from the War
Between The States. The structure is riddled with bullet holes from
the Battle of Franklin
(30 November 1864).
The McGavock Cemetery at the historic Carnton
Plantation is the Nationís largest privately owned Confederate Cemetery
and the resting place of 1,500 slain soldiers. The United Daughters
of the Confederacy hold the deed to the site and carefully maintain
it for the public.
A visit to this historic battlefield includes a video presentation
and battlerama, museum, and guided tour of the house and grounds.
The Carter House is recognized as one of the South's most noted
historic landmarks in Tennessee.
Admission charge. Group rates available.
Open Monday through Saturday:
April - October . . . . . 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
November - March. . . 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
April - Oct.. . . . 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Nov. - March. . . 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Carter House is located 18 miles south of Nashville
The Carter House
1140 Columbia Avenue
Franklin, Tennessee 37064
For more information call:
Carter Roof Repair Campaign