Fort Loudoun State
Historic Area Information

   Fort Loudoun played a significant role in helping Great Britain secure the trans-Appalachian region from France during the Seven Years War, otherwise known as the French and Indian War. As the first planned British fort, Fort Loudoun helped ally the powerful Cherokee Nation to the English cause and block further French penetration of the area from the west.
   Named after John Campbell, the fourth Earl of Loudoun, Fort Loudoun had its inception from Governor James Glen of South Carolina who saw the need for a fort among the Cherokee as early as 1746. It was not until October 1756 until actual construction of the fort began.
   Tragedy was to befall the fort in less than two years. A breakdown in relations between the British and the Cherokee contributed to the surrender of Fort Loudoun. The Cherokee laid siege to the fort beginning in March of 1760. The Indians effectively cut the fort's supply line through the mountains to Fort Prince George.  As a result, by June, rations were reduced to one quart of corn per day divided among three persons. Although both South Carolina and Virginia mounted efforts to relieve the seige, neither effort succeeded.
   On August 6th, with their situation hopeless, Paul Demere asked the Cherokee for terms of surrender. On the morning of August 9th, the garrison left the fort with a party of 180 men and 60 women and children. The next morning at sunrise, the Cherokee attacked the garrison's camp, killing all the officers except one. The remainder were taken as slaves, and most were eventually ransomed by South Carolina and Virginia.

Click to see
Fort Loudoun Maps

Return to
Virtual Museum